Etiquette Guidelines for Every Day
- A “please” and “thank you” will get you oh so far.
- A borrowed item should always be returned in better condition than you received it.
- Take pride in your appearance.
- Never show up as a guest empty-handed. A hostess gift can be as simple as a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine.
- Remember than humor and sarcasm don’t translate well in email. Save your witty comments for an in-person conversation.
- Never accept a compliment by explaining the item was on sale or which store it came from.
- Wrap up work before you dine (if you are expecting a text or email, excuse yourself from the table before checking your phone).
- Think twice before you speak, type, or text. Some things are better left unsaid.
- When driving, pedestrians should always have the right of way. Especially in the rain.
- Don’t be shy. If you find yourself in a new and unknown situation, do not be afraid to ask questions.
- A well-balanced life equals a well-balanced image.
In its most simple form, modern etiquette means considering others before yourself and putting your best foot forward at all times.
“As liberated as we’ve become in our dress and in our lifestyles, good manners are still essential.” -Kate Spade